Sunday, December 2, 2012

Hungry Eyes genre is...

Yesterday I was asked numerous times if my novel Hungry Eyes was a Young Adult novel. I didn't give anyone a clear answer, because I didn't want to release the genre of the novel until I was finished writing it. It was recommended to me that to help the people that are following my writing, that I should let everyone know what genre it is that I am writing. Everyone assumes that because I'm only 21 years old, I am a YA writer. Well, I'm not.

I don't want people to think that I'm disrespecting YA novels in any way, because I'm not. I like YA novels, I've read and enjoyed many of them. I chose not to be a young adult writer because the characters, the conflicts, and ideas that run through my head, are not suited for a young adult audience. I don't like listing myself under a category but I'll try my best. Hungry Eyes will probably be listed as a romance novel. Not because it's a Nicholas Sparks type of novel, but because the main plot revolves around two characters that are drawn together while battling a conflict that was brought upon the both of them. I would like to think it would at atleast be a suspense romance, or a thriller, because in some ways it's very dark. Maybe urban? I've said it numerous times before, I'm not positive as to what It will end up being listed as. Romance will definitely be one of the genres.

I don't list myself as a genre writer yet because I don't know where I'm going to end up. Ten years from now, I'll be thirty one, and I could end up writing a science fiction novel, because I find aliens very interesting. Don't go labeling me a sci-fi writer now, because that will irritate me. At this very moment in time, I'll call myself a writer thats currently working on his debut novel Hungry Eyes. That is all.

REMEMBER. I am still very new to the writing world. I'm also very young. Being 21, and writing a novel is not the easiest thing to accomplish. I'm expecting to self publish it, and see what happens. I don't consider writing a hobby, because this is a huge part of my life. Am I expecting to make a living off of writing right away? No. I will be working other jobs, and doing other things, but at the end of the day, writing is simply who I am. I get judged constantly, even by people who are close to me. I don't have the support that I probably should have in order to make all of this flow together and work out. A lot of writers that I have spoken with tell me they have family and friends that support them every day. I honestly don't have that, and I'm not saying I particularly need it either. I get more support from people who follow me on twitter than I do from those who are close to me. I'm not complaining, or trying to write a sob story, but I'm just speaking the truth. I have a wonderful family and a few really great friends. The things I've done in the past have caused people to look at me and see a guy who isn't really going anywhere. I understand that, and I take full responsibility for all of that. I learned to accept who I am, and the mistakes that I made, because everything happens for a reason. I am who I am today, because of all those mistakes. I guess I like being the underdog, because I have been my entire life. I don't exactly know where I'm trying to go with this blog, but I'll stop in a minute...maybe.

Back to the genre of my novel...
I'm calling Hungry Eyes a romantic suspense novel. Things could change, but that is what I'm calling it today.


Again, I wasn't trying to disrespect any YA writers or YA novels. I just don't want people to assume I'm a YA writer because I'm 21.


More news on Hungry Eyes coming this week.

Thanks again, and have a great Sunday everyone!

Corey.

1 comment:

  1. A word of encouragement and congratulation from an old emerging writer to a young one. I write narrative non-fiction and humor, but writing is writing as far as I'm concerned - difficult, demanding, but so fulfilling. Has been my salvation in life. I thought your blog was very insightful and mature... and well written too. Good luck Corey and happy Christms!

    ReplyDelete